Building Approvals and Compliance Officer
Whangarei District Council is looking for a skilled and experienced Building Approvals and Compliance Officer eager to make a valuable contribution helping to shape the Whangarei District and support the communities that reside within it.
Joining the team of five, you will carry out the Territorial Authority functions of the Building Compliance department ensuring an effective and efficient monitoring, compliance and enforcement service. This may include working on Building Warrant of Fitness, Certificates of Acceptance, Earthquake prone building assessment and the compliance of swimming pool fencing.
Your role will also provide a coordinated response to complaints/enquiries related to building compliance issues and recommendations around enforcement action. You will manage any resulting enforcement action including preparation and presentation of evidence before the court where necessary.
The focus for our Building Compliance team is not just adherence to regulations but also providing technical advice on Building Compliance matters to the public and council to encourage compliance and enhance knowledge in the district.
If you think you have what it takes to be successful in this role and are eager for us to consider your application, you will need to be able to demonstrate:
- Competent understanding of the relevant legislation and obligations as it pertains to monitoring, compliance and enforcement action (working knowledge of Building Act)
- Sound understanding of local government processes
- Ability to prepare and present evidence to Court
- Good communication skills, both written and spoken
- Ability to mediate with and resolve conflict in difficult circumstances and with different customers
- Ability to work methodically and efficiently and to set and meet appropriate standards and deadlines
- Experience carrying out compliance and enforcement functions
At Whangarei District Council we take our reputation as a lifestyle destination seriously and consider a range of flexible working and life balance options for those that want to work in a professional and progressive environment while still having the time to take advantage of everything our district has to offer. In addition, our employment package includes Health Insurance, Life Insurance, payment of a professional membership, continuous development opportunities and an active social club, plus much more.
Whangarei is a district on the rise. It is Northland's only city and largest commercial centre. Nestled between forest clad hills at the heart of the beautiful Whangarei Harbour, nowhere in the district is more than 40 kilometres away from our spectacular coastline and commuting to WDC's CBD location is a breeze.
There's a lot that'll make you 'Love it Here!'
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact People and Capability team on: (09) 430 4200 or 0800 932 463.