Senior Water Technician
Whangarei District Council owns and operates seven A-grade Water Treatment Plants, including what was New Zealand's first ion exchange plant for water treatment.
All plants are controlled by SCADA systems.
Collectively, the team who work with our state-of-the-art equipment have vast experience, expertise and a passion in their service delivery to our community.
What you will do
In a nutshell, you will coordinate staff and contractors in the safe provision of potable drinking water, to appropriate standards and in adequate supply.
Leading by example, the things you will take ownership of include that you will:
- Monitor alarm systems and initiate correct procedures
- Maintain health and safety, OSH and ISO standards
- Adhere to WHO and NZDWS quality standards
- Organise timetables and correct procedures as per contracts
- Co-ordinate correct contractor for job
- Commission contractors' work
- Plan and implement new systems
- Maintain water treatment plants and equipment
- Initiate discussion on installation and upgrade improvements
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- Thorough understanding of the Drinking-Water Standards for New Zealand 2005 (revised 2018)
- A hands-on approach to problem solving
- Computer literacy including familiarity with SCADA
- Commitment to Health and Safety
- Ability to manage small projects and site works
- Commitment to continual learning and development
- At least 5 years Water Treatment Plant operational experience
- Ability to work as part of a busy team
- A keenness to mentor other staff with your technical knowledge
- NZ Diploma in Water Treatment (Level 5) preferred
- A current, clean Driver Licence
Why Whangarei District Council?
We offer a professional and progressive environment, continuous learning and development opportunities, a range of flexible working and work/life balance options, Health Insurance, Life Insurance, payment of a professional membership, an active Social Club - and more!
Whangarei is a district on the rise. It is Northland's only city and largest commercial centre.
Nestled between the forest clad hills at the heart of the beautiful Whangarei Harbour, nowhere in the district is more than 40 kilometres away from our spectacular coastline. For many, commuting to WDC's CBD location is a breeze.
There's a lot that'll make you 'Love it Here!'
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the People and Capability team on (09) 430 4200 or 0800 932 463.