Environmental Health Officer / EH Technical Officer / Technician
With strong development in our district, and a supportive, positive, diverse working environment in an organisation which values its customers and its people, there's never been a better time to make the move to Whangarei District Council.
This is a great role that will see you getting out and about in the community, working with existing and new businesses to ensure high standards are maintained across our District. You'll be supported by a dynamic, hardworking and fun team.
The role will be structured according to your qualification and experience. For example, if not a qualified Environmental Health Officer, the role may have more of an emphasis on general investigation, monitoring, etc, and change as experience grows.
Ideally, we are seeking a qualified and experienced Environmental Health Officer to join our Health and Bylaws Department. However, we will also consider a candidate with or in the process of completing a science-based tertiary qualification or a suitable candidate with the willingness and ability to gain (with our assistance) the relevant qualification, whilst working for us and studying part time.
To be successful you will bring:
- A relevant qualification/studying a relevant qualification and ideally some experience
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- The ability to self-manage, pick things up quickly and manage a diverse range of work
- A positive outlook and a methodical approach
- A high level of competence in the use of technology
- A high level of competence (or potential to be developed) in customer liaison
- A strong service orientation
- The confidence (or potential to be developed) to make the tough decisions when required
- Negotiation skills and ability to competently diffuse conflict situations (or potential to be developed)
- A current driver's licence
The activities that you'll be undertaking (depending on your qualification and experience) include:
- Monitoring and enforcement of food safety in food premises
- Verification of food control plans and national programs
- Inspection and monitoring of Health Act registered premises
- Investigation of health nuisances
- Recreational water testing
- Noise measurement and assessment
- Alcohol licensing
The ideal candidate will have a sound understanding of the current Environmental Health, Food and Alcohol Licensing legislation, and a strong ability to follow and improve processes within a Quality Management System, or the ability and willingness to study towards the relevant qualification, whilst working full time.
We offer a professional and progressive environment, continuous learning and development opportunities, a range of flexible working and work/life balance options, Health Insurance, Life Insurance (2x your base salary), payment of a professional membership, an active Social Club, plus much more….
Whangarei is a district on the rise. It's Northland's only city and largest commercial centre.
Nestled between the forest clad hills at the heart of the beautiful Whangarei Harbour, nowhere in the district is more than 40 kilometres away from our spectacular coastline and commuting to WDC's CBD location is a breeze.
With an outstanding natural environment and great, constantly developing facilities, there's a lot that'll make you 'Love it Here!'
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the People and Capability team on: (09) 430 4200 or 0800 932 463.