Team Leader - Strategic Planning
Here at Whangarei District Council we believe in recognising the potential of our people, so following promotion of our Team Leader - Strategic Planning into a departmental manager role we are seeking a talented, motivated and people centric leader to take on the leadership of the team responsible for Strategic Planning; Urban Design and Spatial Planning. The team works effectively by collaborating and engaging with hapū, local business and communities across the Whangarei District to support the development of short, medium and long-term strategies. These strategies, including our City Centre Plan and District Housing Strategy inform the growth and development of our district.
To be considered for this opportunity you will have proven ability to build strong working relationships across organisations, you will understand and use team based processes to accomplish goals and have the ability to influence others to ensure that strategies and plans are implemented. You will also be able to tap into new trends, legislation and policy and inform elected members and senior management of their impact on Council.
This role could provide the perfect opportunity for candidates working at this level already and looking to move to our beautiful district or alternatively looking to take that next step up in their planning career. Whatever the reason if you're able to demonstrate some or all of the following attributes then we'd love to hear from you:
- A relevant tertiary qualification
- Knowledge of Resource Management Act, Local Government Act and other relevant legislation
- Understanding of the basic principles of urban design and its importance in long term strategic planning
- Experience in consultation processes
- The ability to operate effectively with a high level of diplomacy
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Project management experience
- The ability to influence others through the development of strong working relationships and provision of clear well thought out advice
- Demonstrated ability to work with Māori and communities of interest
- Ability to deliver strategies and solutions that are both innovative and practical.
At Whangarei District Council we take our reputation as a lifestyle destination seriously and consider a range of flexible working and life balance options for those that want to work in a professional and progressive environment while still having the time to take advantage of everything our district has to offer. In addition, our employment package includes Health Insurance, Life Insurance, payment of a professional membership, continuous development opportunities and an active social club plus much more.
Whangarei is a district on the rise. It is Northland's only city and largest commercial centre. Nestled between forest clad hills at the heart of the beautiful Whangarei Harbour, nowhere in the district is more than 40 kilometres away from our spectacular coastline and commuting to WDC's CBD location is a breeze.
There's a lot that'll make you 'Love it Here!'
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the People and Capability team on (09) 430 4200 or 0800 932 463.