Graduate Strategic Planner
It is a great time to work at Whangarei District Council. As our district continues to grow, we have responded with an exciting strategy and policy programme which covers a wide variety of issues from city centre regeneration, climate change and managing growth. To support us in the successful delivery of our strategy and policy work, we are looking for a motivated graduate oozing with initiative and enthusiasm to take on the role of Graduate Strategic Planner within our Strategy Team. With a reputation for innovative thinking and community engagement on sometimes hotly debated projects our team of strategists need someone who is a great communicator, a creative thinker and can support the delivery of high quality strategic projects.
As a Graduate Strategic Planner, you will be working on a variety of strategic and policy projects. This can include the review of our existing policies and strategies or the creation of new ones. You will be researching background information, developing policy options, actively involved in consultation and will finalise the policy and strategy with key stakeholders and elected members.
The team already has expertise in a number of areas including policy and strategy development, design, urban planning and data analysis. The successful candidate will learn a great deal from this group of professionals but also bring along additional expertise that over time will expand the capability of the team.
To be considered for this role you will be able to demonstrate:
- Completion of a relevant degree level qualification or higher with strong links to geography, environmental science, urban design, resource management, planning or public policy.
- A strong desire to work in strategic planning, particularly in delivering high quality strategic planning and policy projects.
- The ability to successfully work with a varied portfolio of strategic planning and policy work.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to foster meaningful relationships with key stakeholders.
- The ability to come up with innovative solutions to complex issues.
- The ability to work with multi-disciplinary project teams that have delivered high quality planning outcomes.
- Engagement and consultation skills enabling effective collaboration and working with others.
We are also interested in hearing from applicants that are currently in their final year of study with a view to commencing work towards the end of 2019.
Our employment package includes benefits such as health insurance, life insurance, flexible working arrangements and excellent support for ongoing learning and development.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the People and Capability team on: (09) 430 4200 or 0800 932 463.