Manager - Venues & Events
Venues and Events Whangarei is looking for a new leader who is a driven and motivated person to join the team.
This is a full time position and requires an enthusiastic person who has outstanding experience in the events industry. Venues and Events play a key role in the attraction, organisation and support of events within the district as well as managing the Forum North and Northland Events Centre facilities. Iconic Northland events such as Fritter Festival, Christmas Festival, Endless Summer Festival and the Matariki Festival are all organised by the team and this role plays an essential part in the delivery of these exciting events.
The person we are seeking will lead with vision and energy, have high levels of integrity, be delivery focused and have a proven track record in driving initiatives to realise the full potential of the venues and programmes.
Key objectives of this role are to:
- Lead a passionate, dynamic and high performing team
- Manage financial and general management requirements of two separate entities
- Provide full reporting to both a Trust Board and as a local government department
- Work with the team to promote, present and facilitate a balance of events and opportunities
- Lead a team in the attraction and bidding for major events for the district and for Northland
- Provide economic benefit to the district through the attraction of visitors through event procurement and delivery
- Showcase our people and place through events
- Work with key event organisers, promoters and other Whangarei venues to leverage opportunities in the District.
The type of person we are wanting will be commercially astute and have:
- Excellent leadership, high level management and negotiation experience of at least 5 years
- At least 3 years experience in facility and asset management in the event industry and event procurement
- Excellent networks, knowledge and understanding of the events industry
- Experience in strategic and business planning, financial management, high level reporting to a Board or local government and process documentation
- Comprehensive understanding of health and safety responsibilities
- Personal initiative, drive and time management skills
- Excellent relationship management skills with both internal and external stakeholders.
There will be the requirement for you to work some weekends and flexible hours due to the nature of our business. Our employment package includes a competitive salary, along with other benefits such as flexible working arrangements and support for ongoing learning.
Whangarei is a district on the rise. It is Northland's only city and largest commercial centre. Nestled between the forest clad hills at the heart of the beautiful Whangarei Harbour, nowhere in the district is more than 40 kilometres away from our spectacular coastline and commuting to WDC's CBD location is a breeze.
At Whangarei District Council we take our reputation as a lifestyle destination seriously and consider a range of flexible working and work/life balance options for those that want to work in a professional and progressive environment while still having the time to take advantage of everything our district offers. With reputable schools, an outstanding natural environment and great, constantly developing facilities, there's a lot that'll make you 'Love it Here!'.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the People and Capability team on (09) 430 4200 or 0800 932 463.