Team Leader - Building Approvals and Compliance
Whangarei is the largest commercial hub in Northland and the Whangarei District covers a geography from Kaiwaka to Bland Bay. We have a total staff of around 370 people and our Building Control Department accounts for about 50 of these. We firmly believe we are here to serve our community and all new staff must share this thinking with us.
About the role
We are looking for a solution focused leader to manage a team of professionals in the compliance area. This team currently sits within the Building Department in our Planning and Development Group.
To be successful in this role you will understand the need to be pragmatic in your approach and have resolution as your focus. You need empathy, common sense, initiative and integrity. You need the ability to make sound decisions, especially where rules and regulations are open to interpretation.
Key skills required:
- Sound knowledge of Local Government processes in relation to Compliance
- Strong negotiation skills
- Ability to lead and develop a team
- Ability to meditate and resolve difficult situations
- Ability to deliver on time
- Ability to prepare reports and evidence that can be used in Court
- 5 years leading a team
- 5 years working in a compliance or regulatory environment
- Extensive experience in mediating and resolving difficult situations
- Thorough understanding and experience working within legislation
What we offer
In return for the skills and experience you will bring to Council we offer a range of benefits in addition to a fair salary. We understand life is not all about work and so we also offer opportunity to gain more work/life balance through flexible working. Health and Life Insurance and significant opportunity for personal and professional develop will be available to you from day one - we are committed to health, wellbeing, and development of all of our staff.
Applications will be open until the 11th of January and we will start shortlisting from the 14th of January 2019.
If you are ready to make a difference in the community we serve, to be challenged as a professional and to get more balance out of life, apply now.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact the People and Capability team on (09) 430 4200 or 0800 932 463.