Building Approvals and Compliance Officer
Whangarei District Council is looking for a skilled and experienced Building Approvals and Compliance Officer eager to make a valuable contribution helping to shape the Whangarei District and support the communities that reside within it.
As the successful applicant you will be responsible for carrying out the Territorial Authority functions of the Building Control Department ensuring an effective and efficient monitoring, compliance and enforcement service that meets legislative requirements and the needs of our community.
Your role will include providing a co-ordinated response to complaints/enquiries related to building compliance issues and recommendations around enforcement action including a range of options and associated risk. You will manage any resulting enforcement action including preparation and presentation of evidence before the court where necessary.
Providing technical advice on Building Compliance matters to the public and council to encourage compliance with statutory requirements and enhance knowledge in the district is another key part of the role alongside the monitoring and evaluation of compliance with the Building Act and other related regulatory requirements by undertaking inspections and investigative processes
If you think you have what it takes to be successful in this role and are eager for us to consider your application you will need to be able to demonstrate:
- Competent understanding of the relevant legislation and obligations as it pertains to monitoring, compliance and enforcement action.
- Sound understanding of local government processes.
- Thorough up to date understanding and practical working knowledge of the Building Act including all recent changes and amendments.
- Ability to prepare and present evidence to Court.
- Good communication skills, both written and spoken.
- Ability to mediate with and resolve conflict in difficult circumstances and with different customers.
- Ability to work methodically and efficiently and to set and meet appropriate standards and deadlines.
- Experience carrying out compliance and enforcement functions.
Whangarei is a district on the rise. It is Northland's only city and largest commercial centre. Nestled between the forest clad hills at the heart of the beautiful Whangarei Harbour, nowhere in the district is more than 40 kilometres away from our spectacular coastline and commuting to WDC's CBD location is a breeze.
At Whangarei District Council we take our reputation as a lifestyle destination seriously and consider a range of flexible working and work/life balance options for those that want to work in a professional and progressive environment while still having the time to take advantage of everything our district offers. We provide a competitive salary, a supportive learning environment and the opportunity to work with a team initiating, building and operating innovative and challenging projects.
With median house prices currently at around $430,000, reputable schools, an outstanding natural environment and great, constantly developing facilities, there's a lot that'll make you 'Love it Here!'
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact People & Capability team on: (09) 430 4200 or 0800 932 463