Manager - Health and Bylaws
Whangarei District Council has been through a period of exciting change. We have reviewed our organisation to create better outcomes for our community and as a result a number of new opportunities have become available. We continue to look for skilled and qualified people who are eager to make a valuable contribution helping to shape the Whangarei District and support the communities that reside within it.
The position of Manager - Health and Bylaws is a newly created role which will provide leadership to a team that is responsible for the effective management of the Environmental Health and Bylaws Enforcement function including liquor, hazardous substances, noise and bylaws enforcement contractor management.
Your team will also provide a centre of expertise for media and legal inquiries and Official Information Requests relating to Environmental Health and Bylaws Enforcement as well as maintaining oversight of relevant contractors and related contracts surrounding work carried out on behalf of council for the Health and Bylaws Department.
If you think you have what it takes to be successful in this role and are eager for us to consider your application you will need to be able to demonstrate:
- Strong leaderships skills that can empower and motivate others to effectively deliver results
- Expert knowledge of the Health Act 1956, Food Act 2014, Hazardous Substances and New Organisms Act 1996, Sale and Supply of Alcohol Act 2014, Dog Control Act 1996 and District Plan.
- Knowledge of Local Government Act 2002 and Resource Management Act 1991.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Proven understanding of legal processes and interpretation and application.
- Experience in a role where contract management has played a significant part.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively facilitate successful win-win outcomes.
- A strong focus on issue resolution.
- The ability to develop strong working relationships across the business that aid effective collaboration.
- A relevant degree level qualification.
Whangarei is a district on the rise. It is Northland's only city and largest commercial centre. Nestled between the forest clad hills at the heart of the beautiful Whangarei Harbour, nowhere in the district is more than 40 kilometres away from our spectacular coastline and commuting to WDC's CBD location is a breeze.
At Whangarei District Council we take our reputation as a lifestyle destination seriously and consider a range of flexible working and work/life balance options for those that want to work in a professional and progressive environment while still having the time to take advantage of everything our district offers. We provide a competitive salary, a supportive learning environment and the opportunity to work with a team initiating, building and operating innovative and challenging projects.
With median house prices currently at around $430,000, reputable schools, an outstanding natural environment and great, constantly developing facilities, there's a lot that'll make you 'Love it Here!'
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact People & Capability team on: (09) 430 4200 or 0800 932 463